Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fruitful Discussions on Public Transportation

It is unusual for me to meet colleagues on the New York City Subway system, but I often meet people on New Jersey Transit more often on the Newark Light Rail, the last leg of my journey to work. Some of the people I meet from time to time are Eric Blitz of University Advancement, Kam Sirkar of Chemical Engineering, Lenny Kaplan of Athletics, and Christine Cervelli of Career Services. For the first time today I encountered Michael Bieber, Professor of Information Systems. We spoke about a project he is working on with the Library and asked me to participate in it. It is important to me that the time I spend commuting is used constructively. Believe me I had done tons of reading over the year on the trains. I am glad to see more NJIT people using public transportation. Each rider is one less car meaning less air pollution and congestion in Newark.

No comments: