Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Expecting Ingratitude in electronic reference

Students and faculty who come to the reference are always courteous and appreciative of the help that we give them.  A thank you at the end of a reference transaction really helps.  I find just the opposite is true in electronic reference.  Within the last day I have experienced two cases of ingratitude.

This question came through e-mail from an NJIT student:

Hi Sir.



I had been asked to find Antoine equations ,from NIST chemistry webbook, for both hexane and heptane but I couldn't find them. Both equations are expressed in Pressure, Temperature and x( mole fraction). Because I need them for my homework next monday, please email them to me if you can
 
It took me about a half hour to find the answer to this question.  I sent him the answer through e-mail and even should him how I found the information.  He did not acknowledge receipt of the information I sent.
 
Here is a chat reference question I got this morning:
 
hi, i need to find an article based on research on how to motivate students to learn anything from environment:ecosystem/biodiversity/etc. In other wods if there is a method (checked by working with students) which is working.
 
I did a search in ERIC and sent one article that I thought was relevant.  I suggested she use the search strategy SU - Motivation and SU - Environmental Education and evaluate the references.  I got absolutely no responses from her during the chat session.  Finally at 10 AM I was "saved by the bell" since my shift at the chat service ended.
 
And so it goes.  I guess there is nothing we can do about this.

1 comment:

Olivia Nellums said...

When I don't get grateful acknowledgment in electronic reference transactions, I tend to wonder if the person even received my message. Sometimes the speed of my response seems to be a variable.

In fact, I think my experience has been quite different from yours: I've found that when they don't leave me hanging, patrons tend to be just as appreciative online as in-person.