Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It's Nice to See Librarians Acknowledged by a Book's Author

Authors usually place acknowledgements in the front or back of a book.  He/she mentions the people who provide invaluable help in writing the book.  The author usually lists the people who were interviewed for the book.  A few days ago I picked up the following book at the public library:

Rosengren, John. Hammerin' Hank, George Almighty and the Say Hey Kid: The Year That Changed Baseball Forever. Naperville, Ill: Sourcebooks, 2008. Print.

I will quote directly for the author's acknowedgements:

"A special thank you to the entire staff of the Minneapolis Public Library, with its generous baseball collection.  You tutored me in the new technology, replaced the toner in the cartridge, and led me through the stacks with unflagging patience and kindness.  I appreciate that."

Perhaps this small paragraph be included in library school textbooks.  It's nice to be appreciated.

No comments: