Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Murphy's Law and Information Literacy

I like to assist my colleagues who teach basic information literacy skills to freshmen in humanities classes.  I generally do it a few times a semester.  The students are given an assignment where we suggest they use Academic Search Premier.  Some of the topics in the class I gave yesterday were:

1) Violence in Media: Cause of Violence in Today’s Youth vs. A Non-Factor in Today’s Youth


2) Government Control of Healthcare: For vs. Against

3) Government Bailout Programs: Necessary Evil vs. Unnecessary Waste of Taxpayers’ Money

4) Laws Preventing Parental Corporal Punishment (Public discipline): Protecting Innocent Children vs. Government Overstepping their Boundaries

It was very unlucky that I could not access Academic Search Premier or any other of the Ebscohost family of databases.  I received a frantic text message from the Information Literacy Librarian stating that their system was down.  Fortunately I had a powerpoint available where I could show students how to access the database.  I then told them they could use Lexis-Nexis to start on the assignment even though it included newspaper articles that were not peer reviewed.
 
I started the class at 1 PM.  A colleague informed me that as late as 10:30 PM Ebscohost was still down.  I can not remember a database being offline for such a long period of time.  At 7 AM today the system was up.
 
Remember Murphy's Law.  "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".

No comments: