Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Reference Librarians Must Face Ingratitude

Reference librarians often must face ingratitude by patrons.   I have worked with patrons that are most appreciative of the services I provide to them in my 35 years in this profession.  Academic librarians are responsible to serve the students, faculty, and staff of their respective institutions.  I have received few requests from businesses in the local community in recent years.

Last week one of my colleagues left me a message that F.S. asked for assistance from the chemistry librarian.  I was away from the office for a few days, so I phoned him back yesterday and asked what he wanted.  He had a relatively complicated question about sugar cane bagasse.

I spent about an hour on his query and sent my results to him via e-mail with suggestions on how he could pursue his research further.  He never responded to me.  Don’t I deserve a “thank you” for doing work “beyond the call of duty”?  He is not part of my university’s community and I was certainly not under any obligation to him.  He would have to pay an information consultant big bucks for this service.


All in a days work.

No comments: