Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Random Comments About Information Literacy in the Fall 2014 Semester

I haven’t written much for this blog so here goes with some random comments about teaching information literacy.

I still feel the “substitute teacher mentality” with students and information literacy.  Back in our elementary school days it was party time when a substitute teacher came in.  I think many students see a librarian coming to their class as an outsider and don’t take the lecture seriously.

Today I taught my class in how to find physical and thermodynamic properties of chemical substances.  A student sitting right in front of me was actually sleeping during the lecture.  I could understand if he was in the back, but isn’t it insulting when he dozed off right in front of the teacher.


A few weeks ago I taught a class to some graduate students in physics.  The professor had coffee and cake for the students.  During the talk nobody asked questions, but several students approached me after the talk while eating.  I guess they prefer to ask their questions privately.

No comments: