Thursday, April 22, 2010

Learning the Advanced Features of a Database

We all have our comfort zones as we search databases. We are familiar with the basic commands and operations, but are reluctant to explore more advanced features. I have used Science Direct at the NJIT library for many years. Today I met with the Product Manager and Human Factors Engineer from Elsevier to discuss new enhancements for Science Direct.

I explained that I rarely used that database for subject searching. If the Serials Solutions Database provided by the NJIT Library says that we have an Elsevier journal, it will direct the user to the exact article within Science Direct. I pointed out that I use Scopus for subject searching. There is a link within the Scopus bibliographic record that points the user to the full-text which would be in Science Direct if the journal is published by Elsevier.

Today, I was able to familiarize myself with these special features of Science Direct:

  • Download Manager – one may download more than one PDF at a time and specifying the naming convention of the file.

  • Related articles of the one retrieved.

  • Features of the HTML format of articles
    --Ability to extract the figures and tables and display them externally
    --Extraction of relevant terms from the article
    --Linking of reference in the bibliography.


It was a very fruitful discussion since I can now teach these features to my patrons.

No comments: