Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Passing of a Former Colleague - Reynaldo G Alejandro

I very often wonder what happened to former friends and colleagues years after we have gone our separate ways. It has become easier to do this in recent years using search engines and social networking tools. I very often think back to my days at the Science and Technology Division of the New York Public Library where I worked from 1983-1990. It is hard to believe that it has been 20 years since I have left that fine institution which is one of the world's largest research libraries. Within the past few weeks I encountered former NYPL colleague Susan Gormley at a METRO meeting and Jackie LaValle at a concert at Flushing Town Hall.

Just a few minutes ago I Googled Reynaldo G. Alejandro and sadly discovered that he passed away last year. (http://filipinolibrarian.blogspot.com/2009/08/alejandro-reynaldo-g-1941-2009.html) If I remember correctly Reynaldo worked at the Science and Technology Division with me from 1986-89. He was a very talented individual. He wrote several Phillippine cookbooks. He actively promoted the menu and cookery collections at NYPL. He also worked at the Dance collection and at the Donnell Library of NYPL. I hadn't been in touch with him since I left NYPL in 1990. I remember he phoned me back then to congratulate me as a was appointed Science Librarian at St. Johns University.

My belated condolences to his family.

No comments: