Friday, December 23, 2011

Random Thoughts at the End of the Semester


The continuing trend of decreasing transactions at the reference desk was the most disappointing issue for me this year. Also, less people have contacted me through e-mail, phone or in person despite many efforts of outreach. What are the possible reasons?

1. Information literacy efforts have succeeded. Students know how to effectively use the resources that we provide.

2. The publishers provide resources that are used with minimal training.

It was frustrating this year to face a limit budget for print and electronic resources. The dollar amount was flat but the costs of books, serials, and databases are rising above the rate of inflation. Since we are a research university a decision was made to spend more on journals and databases than books. I understand this but the book budget is so poor :)

This year I became interested in the VALE OLS (Open Library System) known as VALID. I have done some reading on the new generation of library catalogs and look forward to its implementation. I will be on a panel at the VALE meeting in January to discuss issues relating to the discovery tools.

The QANDANJ chat reference service ends on December 31. I have mixed feelings about chat reference which I have expressed in this blog. I do hope that the libraries in New Jersey will be able to find the funds to participate in a similar service in the future.

My best wishes for a happy holiday season for all of my readers

1 comment:

Olivia Nellums said...

Happy New Year! See you at VALE