Thursday, June 13, 2013

Making the Transition from Microsoft Outlook to Gmail

About three years ago I wrote an entry in this journal about coping with e-mail overload  It is hard to believe that e-mail has been around academic circles for about 20 years.  We have used it so long that we can't perceive how we ever did without it.  Is it a blessing or a curse?  Some people use e-mail to avoid a face to face confrontation.  on the other hand it is so much easier to communicate with more people than snail mail

When I first started at NJIT I used a Vax based system called Tesla named after the famous physicist.  Some years later we moved to Microsoft Outlook.  In early 2013 the university decided to standardize all e-mail accounts and move everyone to a Gmail system which students have used since 2008.  Yesterday, was the day of transition for me.

Like everything else, there will be a learning curve.  I guess we all must cope with technological change.

No comments: