Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pratt Institute Revisited 2013

From 1979-1982 I worked as a library information scientist at Schering Corporation in Bloomfield, NJ while I pursued a masters degree in library and information science at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn.  Today I visited Pratt as I needed to consult with Selenay Aytac, my collaborator on a research project.  She is a librarian at LIU Post, but also teaches as an adjunct at Pratt.

Certainly so much has changed in 31 years.  Schering Corporation no longer exists as it was taken over by Merck a few years ago.  The Brooklyn campus still exists, but the library school moved to a building on 14th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues.  Certainly the profession has changed so much in that time frame.  Back in 1982 nobody even percieved of the internet.  I think almost everything that I learned back then is now obsolete.  All of the faculty who was there at that time have retired.  We searched Dialog using 300 baud modems.  It was nice to see their facility today.

No comments: