Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Remembering Leon Goodman Professor of Chemistry at the University of Rhode Island


I was reading a recent issue of the Chemical & Engineering News and found out that Leon Goodman, Professor of Chemistry at the University of Rhode Island (URI) passed away last September at age 94.  When I was a graduate student of chemistry at URI (1972-74), he was Chair of the Department.  He was the second person I met there when I visited in December 1971 just before enrolling.  I fondly remember how he made me comfortable when I first arrived.  It was a big adjustment for me as I came from a big city to rural southern Rhode Island.  His door was always open to students and faculty who needed to talk to him.  He invited students and faculty to his home to socialize.

I kept in touch with him for several years after I graduated.  I last saw him in September 1978 when I told him I was going to pursue a career in chemical information.

He was blessed with a very long life.  My belated condolences to his family and friends.

Detailed obituary

No comments: