Tuesday, October 17, 2017

My Last Lecture

On Monday, October 16 I gave my last scheduled class at NJIT.  It was my standard lecture on the literature of chemical engineering to graduate students.  I have given this once a year in the 25 years I have been there.  This class was limited to new students who have never heard my lecture before.

I explained that in order to become proficient in learning to use information resources, the students must follow up on what I taught them.  One can not learn to search Scifinder or any other database by just listening to someone.  This lecture was another disappointment as most students appeared disinterested.  On several occasions, I asked if there were any questions, but there were none.  A few student were rude by pecking away at their laptops.

There is nothing more I can do.  Hopefully, a few students gained something out of it.

No comments: