Friday, February 13, 2009

My Low Key Approach to Reference Librarianship

I recall an incident early in 1978 when I was still a chemist and lived in New London, Ct. I was taking a business course at Mitchell College when one evening I arrived a little early for class. I went to the library, browsed the shelves, and picked out a book that I just want to look at for a few minutes. The librarian called me over, and insisted that I check out the book. I could see an ear to ear smile in her face as she stamped the due date card in the book. Wasn’t that coming on a little too strong? I didn’t need her assistance to simply pick up a book and take it to a table.

30 years later when as I, now an experienced librarian, have observed some librarians coming on a little too strong in their transactions with patrons. I believe that if a patron does not need help, just let them be. If someone goes to the electronic catalog, does a search, retrieves the book, and checks it out, we have succeeded in training this person.

Thus, I like to take a “low key” approach to reference librarianship. I like to make students and faculty aware that if they need me, I am more than happy to help them. I just don’t want to be in people’s faces with the library. If a student gives me a friendly hello, I will reciprocate, but I will not give a long talk on how to use the databases. I feel that coming on too strong just does more harm than good as did that incident back in 1978 at Mitchell College.

No comments: