Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mashups

This morning I took a three hour course at METRO on mashups as they can be applied to libraries.  It was given by Nicole Engard who wrote the following book on the topic:

Engard, Nicole C. Library Mashups: Exploring New Ways to Deliver Library Data. Medford, N.J: Information Today, Inc, 2009. Print.
She defined a mashup as a web application that combines data from more than one source into a single integrated tool.  Actually I had been working with Mashups even though I didn't relaize it.  Since I have one of my twitter feeds on this blog, it is considered a mashup.

She started the lecture by describing mashups such as http://nyc.bestparking.com/ which mashes Google Maps and parking data.  Later in the lecture she showed some library mashups.

I will now have to review my notes and visit the web sites that were mentioned in the lecture.

No comments: