Monday, June 4, 2012

McNair Summer Research Institute at NJIT

Today for the first time I participated in the McNair Summer Research Institute at NJIT .  Over the years I have taught numerous classes to students to teach them how to use the electronic resources of the library to find information needed in their classes.  It is very frustrating to see their being inattentive and appearing to be disinterested.

I spoke to the group for about one hour this morning using my standard lecture on how to develop thought process to develop a search strategy in the various databases and to take the time to evaluate the reference and then locate the document.  I was pleasantly surprised to observe how attentive and interested the students were.  After I completed my lecture the students had time to search the databases to find information on their topics which included:

  • Hydrogen production from solar energy
  • Sodium Cellulose Sulfate
  • Participatory learning
I was very pleased with the questions that the students asked as their searched the literature.  

No comments: