Monday, June 25, 2012

Today is My 33rd Anniversary as an information professional

On June 25, 1979 which was also a Monday I started as a library information scientist with Schering Corporation in Bloomfield, NJ.  My job was to search for chemical structures using the printed Chemical Abstracts.  We did online searching using Medline and Dialog as well.  When I look back, I realize how the technology back then was so primitive.  Today chemists can use a structure drawing program to search Scifinder to determine the novelty of a structure.  Back then we used slow modems which allowed only for retrieval of textual information.  There were no PCs, tablets, or laptops back then. While I was employed at Schering Corporation I obtained an MLS at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn.


Schering Corporation was acquired by Merck a few years ago.  After leaving Schering I worked for the New York Public Library, St. John's University, and NJIT.  The years have really flown by.

No comments: