Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Passing of Professor Bruno Vittimberga of the University of Rhode Island


I just found out that Bruno Vittimberga who was my research adviser at the University of Rhode Island (URI) passed away on July 24 at age 82.  As an undergraduate chemistry student at CCNY I did a research project in organic photochemistry.  When I read a brochure from the URI Chemistry Department I noted that Dr. Vittimberga also did research in that area and I would like to study under him.  I remember in December 1971 he phoned my home to tell me I was accepted to the masters program.

During Christmas week I took the bus up to URI to meet with him to discuss his research.  To make a long story short, I picked a project not related to photochemistry.  My masters thesis was titled "The Reaction of Aldehydes on Activated Alumina."  I also remember the other people in his research group:

  • Dave Welch
  • Richard Goerner
  • Phil Cote
  • Fred Lamb
My condolences to his family

No comments: