Thursday, January 28, 2016

Teaching Information Resources to Undergraduate Chemical Engineering Students

For several years I have taught to undergraduate students of Che 396 which is described as a capstone chemical engineering laboratory course.  I really have to cover a lot of ground in an hour and a half.  I give my standard lectures on how to find information in chemical engineering.  I include discussions on Scifinder and Scopus.  The bad news was that students did not ask any questions.  Does that imply they are disinterested?  The good news was nobody walked out.  The professor did not want to give an assignment, so I gave out some search questions for them to work on during the last 20 minutes of the class.  The good news was that the students were not averse to doing this task during class hours.  In this case information literacy assessment is impossible.

No comments: