Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Today's Activities

Today I met Urs Gauchat, Dean of the NJIT School of Architecture, on the New Jersey Transit train in Penn Station. He now resides in the Chelsea section of Manhattan. It is very rare when I meet someone I know on the way to work. For years I would occasionally encounter Lynn Mullins the head librarian at Rutgers-Newark, but she retired. Sometimes I ran into Eric Blitz who lives in the Bronx, but he often drives to work. I had a nice conversation with Urs about various university issues.

I finally was able to resolve Zaven's problems in accessing the web version of Scifinder Scholar. I also went to the chemistry department seminar to announce to the graduate students the availability of the new version. The speaker lectured on carbon nanotubes, a very hot area of research.

An alumnus phoned me about accessing the databases remotely. He just didn't know that library services are not available remotely to graduates. He wanted to use the library's databases to search for companies where he could apply for a position. I explained that he could use his local public library.

No comments: