Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Reference Question from this Blog

I use Google Analytics to determine the number of times some accesses this blog each day. I can even determine the location of the visitors, which entries were viewed, and how long the visitor stayed on the site. I can't at all observe if the entry had any impact on the person reading it. I received the following reference question via e-mail today.

I found your blog post about having helped out with the 2009 New Jersey state Chemistry Olympics, and I thought you'd be the perfect person to answer a quick question I've had. I'm writing a college recommendation for a student from XXXXX High School who claims to have won a Platinum Crucible award from the American Chemical Society. Do you know what this award might be, and how it's judged? Because I couldn't verify the existence of the award online, I contacted the ACS (at both the national and local levels) for more information. Mostly, people have been mystified, so I'd prefer not to ask the student for more information (in case the award doesn't exist). One person today, however, told me that it could be a purely local award, say for a poster contest, or else it could be an award given to a winning team (and not to an individual). So I'm wondering if this award rings a bell to you, as someone who participated in last year's Olympics.

I told the person that there was no award named "Platium Crucible" awarded at the New Jersey Chemistry Olympics. I searched the following sources to try to find an answer:

Google
Chemical Abstracts
Business Source Premier – this covers some trade magazines in chemistry including the Chemical & Engineering News
The American Chemical Society Publications site
The Journal of Chemical Education

I could not find any references to a Platinum Crucible Award.

The closest thing that I found was that the newsletter for the Pittsburgh local section of the ACS is called the Crucible. It may be possible that the Pittsburgh section gave out such an award, but I have no evidence of that.

No comments: