Thursday, February 25, 2010

Making Some Progress in Promoting Information Literacy in Biomedical Engineering

I have been the library liaison to the biomedical engineering program since it was made an independent department. I've had difficulties in convincing them that training in the use of the library databases is important. For a few years I was only allowed to give a 15 minute lecture in Fundamentals of Engineering Design (FED 101). I thought this was totally ineffectual especially since Freshmen are not ready to understand the journal literature in their major.

This morning I had a short meeting with the professor who teaches BME 310 (Biomedical Computing). He invited me to give a lecture to his class next week to discuss the use of:
  • Pubmed Medline
  • Scopus
  • IEEE Electronic Library

I am somewhat satisfied that I have convinced that department that students should be aware of databases and journals in their field.

My Powerpoint presentation for this class

No comments: