Monday, November 15, 2010

Rock Stars and Libraries

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in my personal journal, but I felt that the "L word" should never appear in the latter.  A lengthy book review of  Life by Keith Richards  written by Liz Phair appeared in the Sunday New York Times yesterday.  Let me quote "In the early publicity for "Life" it ws revealed that Richards harbored an ambition to be a librarian, and that he once considered getting "professional training" in the Dewey Decimal System to cope with his home library.  I should do something about the books that I have purchased over the years, but I would use the LC system.

Anyway, perhaps my readers here may not know that I worked at the Science and Technology division of NYPL from 1983-1990.  Back then it was located in the Central Research Building at 5th Avenue and 42nd Streer before it became SIBL at Madison Avenue and 34th Street.  Billy Joel gave a press conference there announcing his tour of the USSR in the 1980s>  Keith Richards tour promoting his book began and ended at NYPL.

Anyway several biographies of Bob Dylan stated that he was a regular patron of the Jewish Division of NYPL in the early 1960s when he first came to NYC.  That was not noted in the biopic I'm Not There.  If you want to read about Dylan, please go to Bruce's Journal and there are hundreds of entries.

No comments: