Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Study: College Students rarely use librarians' expertise

This article appeared in USA Today and obviously doesn't tell me anything that I already know.  It reports on a study done by ERIAL (Enthographic Research in Illinois Library Project).

Whenever I give a class I always tell the students that I am always more than willing to help them with their research endeavors, but fewer students either approach me at the reference desk or contact me privately.  Steve Kolowich, the author of the USA Today article states that librarians and professors are partially to blame for this problem.  The ERIAL researchers state that students feel intimidated and alienated.  Are today's students just too embarassed to ask for help while years ago there was often a line of people waiting for assistance.

This article states the problem, but in my opinion does not offer a clear solution.

No comments: