Monday, November 21, 2011

Thoughts on the declining number of reference transactions

The number of reference transactions continues to decline. It is frustrating to sit at the reference desk and observe numerous students pass by without asking a question. A few years ago as a student approached the desk I said “Can I help you?” His response was no, I just wanted to use the waste basket. But what are the reasons for this decline?


1. Information Literacy instruction is working. Students have learned from their instruction and are applying the skills they have learned.

2. The publishers have succeeded in providing databases that students can learn by themselves. They can effectively use a search strategy, evaluate the references, retrieve the articles they need and use them in their papers.

3. Students are happy with what they find by searching Google. The publishers often make their search engines resemble Google.

4. Students are embarrassed to approach the reference desk. During every class I give I invite students to come ask questions, but they seldom do.

Do any of my readers have any thoughts on how to encourage students to ask questions?

No comments: