Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Remembering My Mentor Vitaut Kipel


I had a crazy dream last night about Dr. Vitaut Kipel who was my first supervisor at the New York Public Library Science and Technology Division when I was hired in February 1983.  He really mentored me as he always gave me challenging assignments.  I enjoyed writing annotations for New Technical Books, a publication of the division. It was so frustrating giving reference service in a closed stack library with the collection in several places. Dr. Kipel retired as Assistant Chief of the Division in early 1985.  The last time I saw him was in Spring 1988 shortly after my son Lee was born.

Often I am curious about what happened to people who have influenced me many years after our paths diverged.  Kipel was scholar of Belarusan culture and wrote the following book:

Kipelʹ, Vitaŭt. Belarusans in the United States. Lanham, Md: University Press of America, 1999. Print.

His personal papers about Belarusan immigration are housed at the University of Minnesota.  This site http://www.ihrc.umn.edu/research/vitrage/all/ka/ihrc1210.html is a finding aid for his papers and offers a detailed biography.

Dr. Kipel is now 85 years old and as far as I know he is still living in East Rutherford, NJ.  I am aware that his wife Zora (seen in the photo above) who also worked for NYPL passed away in 2003.  I still have the fondest memories of Vitaut Kipel.

No comments: