Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Number of Reference Transactions Continues to Decline


The number of reference transactions continues to decline.  Yesterday I had two:

1. A student wanted to know how to cite a poem using the MLA Style Guide.

2 .A faculty member found an article in a bibliography and wanted to know if the library had the journal.  I found out that the NJIT Library did not have the journal and filled out an electronic interlibrary loan form for him.  It is especially disappointing when a professor does not know the basics of how to use a library.

The most frustrating thing to me is that chemistry/chemical engineering students don’t ask for me as often as they used to. At least once a semester I introduce myself at graduate seminars and offer my services.  I remember before we had Scifinder Scholar students had to come to me with their search questions that I had to execute using STN International after 5 PM.  What are the reasons?

  • The “Google Phenomenon” – Students search Google to find everything they need.
  • Librarians' training is effective
  • Databases such as Scopus and Scifinder Scholar are designed so that student and faculty can learn to use them with intervention from librarians.


What is the future of reference librarianship?

No comments: