Monday, November 16, 2009

Question from a graduate student

A few weeks ago I posted an entry about an exemplary graduate student. Last Friday he posed a unique question to me. He asked how can magazines not journals covering semiconductors can be ranked. Of course journals are ranked by Journal Citation Reports by impact factor. I really had to think this one out. I should him Ulrich's International Periodicals Directory where most of the semiconductor magazines were classified under electronics. I suggested that the best way to rank magazines would be to do it through circulation statistics. These magazines would be purchased by libraries and individuals who are working in the field.

Any thoughts on what other criteria can be used to gauge the quality of scientific magazines?

No comments: