Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Transcript from a Chat with an Appreciative Patron

I have discussed chat reference in this journal before. You spend time trying to find information for a person and you often don't know if the customer is satisfied with the results. I send the information over and nothing happens. After a while I must log off the session and wait for another chat. Today I received a question from at student at Eastern Illinois University. I sent her 8 articles in PDF and felt that she appreciated what I did for her. Here is the transcript:

Chat Transcript: I am looking for scholarly journals and need a total of 5. I have found 2 but I am having trouble trying to find others. The topic of discussion is Racism. I would like to talk about several issues of racism. For esxample, race, ethnicity, education, unbias, and sports. In addition to the sports portion; an article talking about Caster Semenya (sp??) Women athlete in South Africa. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[Librarian 14:13:04]: Librarian 'NJ INSTofTECH Bruce' has joined the session. [Librarian 14:13:54]: Hello Lashaunda, this is Bruce from the library at the New Jersey Institute of Technology. This is a national chat service

[Patron 14:14:21]: Hi Bruce!

[Librarian 14:14:53]: Let me lookat Academic Search Premier which is a popular database here and see if I can find some articles in scholarly journals for you.

[Patron 14:15:44]: Thank you I appreciate that. I looked at several of the databases and found 2 but I am having trouble finding more.

[Librarian 14:18:56]: I did a search on Racism and sports in Academic Search Premier and limited my search to Peer Reviewed journals and full-text availability. Let me send you 5 of the articles


[Librarian 14:25:08]: I just sent you 5 articles in PDF

[Librarian 14:27:27]: Please check your e-mail

[Patron 14:27:48]: I received them...Are there a couple more that have racism and education and/or an article about if it still exists today? Thanks!

[Librarian 14:28:07]: Let me search the database again

[Patron 14:29:17]: Thank you. [Librarian 14:33:26]: I just sent you 3 articles in pdf considering racism in education

[Patron 14:36:23]: Got them...thankyou so much for your help Bruce. In the future, if I have trouble trying to find some good articles other than what I find in the database...can I use this service?

[Librarian 14:38:51]: yes, you may use this service at any time. Yo may also want to speak to your librarian at your university if you need assistance using the datbases that are available to you

[Librarian 14:39:17]: I sent you one newspaper article about Caster Semenya

[Patron 14:39:33]: Will do. Thank you so much for your excellent service. :)...Thank you!!

[Librarian 14:40:01]: You are welcome. Is there anything more that I can do for you right now?

[Librarian 14:41:34]: Thank you for using this service.

[Librarian 14:41:39]: Librarian ended chat session.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Bruce,
I think you should remove her email address so the student doesn't receive spam. also the name should be confidential? no?

Bruce S said...

Heather - I agree I took out the name and replaced it with patron. I also removed the e-mail address. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.