Monday, November 30, 2009

Will Google Take Over All Libraries?

I suggest my readers see this entry http://oedb.org/blogs/ilibrarian/2009/what-happens-when-libraries-are-shut-down/ from Ellyssa Kroski's blog Ilibrarian. Many special libraries have either closed or downsized in recent years. The photo states that the library is closed and that researchers should consult Google.

When we give classes to college students, we advise them that the sites that they find by searching Google may not be reliable and they should search library databases to find peer reviewed information. In the years to come Google could take over the reference function. Many reliable databases are emulating Google in their search interfaces. When I answer question for the chat service QANDANJ I often find the information for the patron through a Google search. The last time I checked Google had 71% market share of all search engines.

No comments: