Friday, March 5, 2010

When the Going Gets Tough The Tough Get Going

Readers of my personal journal know that I very often post videos of songs that express my feelings about some experiences. One of my reference colleagues at NJIT just announced her resignation. I didn't speak to her about it yet, but it seems that she wants to pursue a masters degree in public administration on a full time basis and eventually seek a career commensurate with that degree. I certainly wish her well in her future endeavors.

This will leave our reference staff shorthanded since there is a hiring freeze. I doubt very much if the university administration would allow us to hire a temp. It is quite possible that we will not be able to fill the position for a year. I am proud of my 17 1/2 year tenure at NJIT and see a short handed situation as a challenge. Several times in the past I was there when reference was short handed due to vacancies, illnesses, and family leaves. To quote Billy Ocean, "When the Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going." Below is a video of his performing that 1980s hit.

No comments: