Thursday, June 9, 2011

Unrealistic Expectations of Chat Reference

This had to be the most complex question that I ever received on chat reference.

I'm trying to do some research on a substrate similar to particleboard. I'm interested in looking into tests for changes in humidity and swelling. The hardest part is finding allowable values. I have a sheet from the Herman Miller standards from 07/29/87 and it mentions water stability. It gives a few percentages for maximum allowable expansion and absorption. There is also a TM Number, TM-2205. I wasn't sure if that could be a manual or test standard number. If so, I would be very interested in getting a copy. The values don't mean much if I don't know how to test them. I was also wondering if Herman Miller has published other standards since 1987. ASTM withdrew a few humidity standard as of 2001, so I want something as recent as possible. I'm specifically looking for quality assurance for particleboard when used as a work surface or table top.

Below is the transcript from this chat session.  What was most frustrating was that the chat was a "one way street."  I received no responses from him as I sent him information.  I suggested that he make an appointment the engineering librarian at his school and work at length on how to find the desired information.

Hi, I'm Bruce Slutsky, a librarian at the New Jersey Institute of Technology. Your library and my library are part of a nationwide cooperative of libraries that staff this service. I'm reading your question now.
Bruce Slutsky:
09:33:16 2011/06/09 (GMT -0400) Sam, this is a very complex question. There is only so much that we can do in chat reference. We can guide you through the research process, but can not do extensive research through chat. Let me see if I can find some information about standards by Herman Miller
Bruce Slutsky:
09:35:26 2011/06/09 (GMT -0400) Would this web site be of interest to you/ http://www.hermanmiller.com/Design-Resources/Materials/Quality-Standards ? Is this the same Herman Miller?
Bruce Slutsky:
09:39:13 2011/06/09 (GMT -0400) A did a search in the ASTM standards database on humidity http://www.astm.org/search/standards-search.html?query=humidity&searchType=standards-summary Perhaps you should look at this answer set
Bruce Slutsky:
09:40:38 2011/06/09 (GMT -0400) I did the same for swelling http://www.astm.org/search/standards-search.html?query=swelling&searchType=standards-summary#62858837
Bruce Slutsky:
09:49:10 2011/06/09 (GMT -0400) Chat reference should be a two way street. It is very frustrating for me not to hear back from you.
Bruce Slutsky:
09:50:32 2011/06/09 (GMT -0400) I suggest you make an appointment with  the engineering Librarian at your university .
Bruce Slutsky:
09:50:44 2011/06/09 (GMT -0400) I hope that what I have sent you is useful
Bruce Slutsky:
09:50:48 2011/06/09 (GMT -0400) Librarian ended chat session.

No comments: