Thursday, June 30, 2011

Some Thoughts on the Demise of the Client Version of Scifinder Scholar

If I remember correctly it was in 1999 when NJIT first subscribed to Scifinder Scholar (SFS) when it was only available in the client version.  Before then students and faculty had to discuss their chemistry related searches with me.  I would have to access Chemical Abstracts via STN and do the search after 5 PM to get the 80% academic discount.

SFS was the only database that was not on the web while our subscription was limited to two simultaneous users.  I remember walking over to the labs and installing it on computers and demonstrating it to promote its usage and unique features.  I regularly received frantic phone calls and e-mails stating that the database did not work.  Usually the searcher neglected to download the site.prf or placed it in the wrong directory.  CAS regularly changed the version of the client software necessitating searchers to download it and override the older version which eventually became obsolete.  Since many researchers used the database infrequently, they could not search with an older version of the software.

The community of chemical information professionals made a case to CAS for a web version of SFS.  I must compliment CAS for always being responsive to its customers.  It was in 2007 or 2008 when the web version of SFS became a reality offering many new enhancements.  I encouraged NJIT users of SFS to make the transition to the web.  I made a unilateral decision to take away the client version, but too many researchers insisted that I reinstate the client version which they felt was faster. My opinion was that the only advantage to the client was the faster access, but the special features of the web version were more important than speed.  I compromised and allowed one user for the web and one for the client.

During the summer of 2010 CAS announced that the client would be discontinued on June 30, 2011.  My users insisted that I provide access to the client until the very last day (today).

I shed no tears for the demise of the client software.  We all must move on and adopt the latest technology.  After making several announcements I am wondering when I will get the first phone call or e-mail asking "What happened to Scifinder?"

No comments: