Thursday, August 26, 2010

Chemical Abstracts Service announces that it will discontinue the Client Version of Scifinder Scholar

On June 24 I discussed the issue of allocating seats for Scifinder Scholar. A user of the web version complained that she couldn't access the one seat since I still gave my second seat to the client. Statistics provided by CAS showed that about 40% of NJIT searchers use the client. Last night I recieved this announcement from Craig W. Stephens of CAS:

"Due to increasing popularity and new development of the web version of SciFinder, CAS is announcing the discontinuation of the client version of SciFinder on June 30, 2011 for all U.S. and Canadian academic institutions. On this date, all seats at these institutions will access the web version only. Please note that any institution may choose to discontinue access to the client version at any time. "

I agree with this move to web only access. People very often are comfortable doing the same thing for years and are resistant to change. The web version provides many useful enhancements. CAS is giving customers 9 months to make the transition. I will make this announcement and repeat it in the months to come. But, inevitably next July I will get frantic calls complaining that the client doesn't work.

No comments: