Monday, February 14, 2011

There is a glut of Ph D chemists

Last week I read this article in the Chemical and Engineering News:

Bethany Halford

Doctoral Dilemma Chemical and Engineering News January 31, 2011 Volume 89, Number 5 pp. 46 - 52

I consider myself a hyphenated librarian (Chemistry-Librarian).  I don't recall commented in this blog about my previous career as a chemist.  I received a masters degree in chemistry at the University of Rhode Island and worked for 3 years as a laboratory chemist before changing careers.  I never had the desire to pursue a doctorate in chemistry since I always considered myself a generalist.  All reference librarians are likely generalists.

The article states that the American Chemical Society estimates that 196 programs (including NJIT) grant doctoral degrees in chemistry.  Both George Whitesides of Harvard and John Deutch of MIT state that academic chemistry is overpopulated.

The sad thing is that so many new graduates can not get jobs commensurate with that degree.  Many become postdocs for many years or remain underemployed inside or outside chemistry.  With the numerous mergers and acquisitions in the pharmacetical industry in recent years, many excellent scientists have lost their jobs and have difficulty being re-employed.

1 comment:

Richard Jedrzejek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.