Friday, May 3, 2013

Learning about InChi - the worldwide chemical structure identifier standard


Years ago when I worked in a pharmaceutical company as an information scientist I had to keep abreast of developments in chemical searching since the major part of my job was to search the chemical literature for documentation of new substances.  In my role as Technical Reference Librarian at NJIT I am much more of a generalist since I teach students how to find information in a wide variety of disciplines.  Very often I hear of a tool or service, but I am only familiar with it in a very cursory way.  I heard of InChI, but I didn’t know any of the details of it.  Yesterday there was an e-mail on the CHMINF-L listserv by David Evans of Reed Elsevier demonstrating videos released by the InChI Trust.  I looked at the videos which were useful but cursory and somehow was motivated to research this topic further.

I did the obvious and did a Google search on InChi and found several useful sites describing the worldwide chemical structure identifier standard:
http://www.inchi-trust.org/ - InChI Trust Web Site

These web sites gave me enough information on this topic, but I felt I had to read a few peer reviewed papers:
InChI - the worldwide chemical structure identifier standard
By Heller, Stephen; McNaught, Alan; Stein, Stephen; Tchekhovskoi, Dmitrii; Pletnev, Igor
From Journal of Cheminformatics (2013), 5, 7. Language: English, Database: CAPLUS, DOI:10.1186/1758-2946-5-7

InChI in the wild: an assessment of InChIKey searching in Google
By Southan, Christopher
From Journal of Cheminformatics (2013), 5, 10. Language: English, Database: CAPLUS, DOI:10.1186/1758-2946-5-10

At this point I was ready to apply what I learned.  I was able to use Pub Med and ChemSpider to find out the InChI and InChIKey for several molecules.  I found out how to use InChI  and InChIKey to search for  molecules in Scifinder.  There are ways to translate a structure into InChI and the other way around.

I really want to hone my skills in searching for structures.  I also downloaded structure drawing programs from ACD Labs and Accelyrs.







No comments: