Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Students Seeking Physical Property Data still Google Away

Yesterday the instructor of Math 225 returned the students' assignments to me where there are asked to find physical properties of chemical substances. In my lecture I provide a list of sources where this information may be found (http://library.njit.edu/researchhelpdesk/subjectguides/phys-prop.php) The answers to the questions may be found in the sources listed there. I explain to students that there is "always more than one way to skin a cat" in finding data for well known substances. When I evaluate their answers, I often find reliable sources that the students used to get the information. Very often chemical companies provide data for the chemicals that they sell. It seems obvious that they find it by using our friend Google. One student used the Wikipedia which was forbidden. a few other people found "Wikipedia clones" where it was obvious that the data was taken from one source and placed on another one.

No comments: