Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Everyone Loves Google - Even Postdocs

Every semester I teach a class on how to find physical properties of substances to chemistry students. Since a new postdoc was teaching the class, I made an appointment to see her to discuss the lecture. I showed her what I've done in the past and the web site that I compiled that lists resources to find property data. I would even use Moodle to distribute and grade the assignment that I give.

At the end of the meeting I made a little small talk about Scifinder Scholar. I asked if she was aware of the two versions of it and if she searches it. She said that she was looking for a rare substances and found a reference to a journal article by searching Google. So why should libraries purchase expensive databases when people find their information through Google.

Everyone loves Google - Even postdocs.

No comments: