Monday, August 31, 2009

First day of Classes at NJIT

It is very hard for me to remember my first day as a Freshman at CCNY in September 1967. Today, the campus came to life after 3 1/2 months of dormancy. President Altenkirch greeted the students with his annual pancake breakfast on the green. There was considerable action at the reference desk when I was there from 10 -11. We are prepared for the usual question that come from new students. I printed out a campus map to direct students to academic buildings. Returning students often find that their computing accounts don't work so I have the handout giving instuctions on restoring their passwords. Then, of course are the dreaded textbook questions that will persist for weeks. I understand that the cost of textbooks are prohibitively high especially in the scientific and engineering disciplines. I always say to students that as a general rule the library doesn' carry required textbooks and that their professor feels that it is in their best interest to own the book.

No comments: