Monday, August 10, 2009

Information Literacy in the Chemical Engineering Curriculum

For a number of years I have given 3 lectures in Chemical Engineering 396 described as the first course in chemical engineering capstone laboratory where experiments are conducted in the areas of fluid mechanics and heat transfer. Bench and pilot-scale equipment is used. I have given three lectures:
  • Introduction to the Literature of Chemical Engineering
  • Scifinder Scholar
  • Scopus and other resources of interest

I agreed to combine the three lectures into one lasting for about 90 minutes. I asked the professor if there is any way of assessing the skills learned in that lecture. He said no since when the students write their laboratory reports they only need to cite their textbook and laboratory manual.

On the way to lunch I accidentally encountered the Chair of the Department. I suggested that I give a quiz at the end of the senior year which would see if the students know how to use the literature in their field as they reach graduation. The grade would not count in any course Likely I will have to make a proposal at a departmental meeting.

No comments: