Friday, October 30, 2009

I attended the METRO Annual Meeting Yesterday

Yesterday I attended the METRO annual meeting held at the SUNY College of Optometry l;ocated on 42nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenue. I arrived a little early so I walked around the area which was my stomping ground from 1983-90 when I worked at the Science and Technology Division of the New York Public Library. There were certainly many new buildings in the vicinity since I had left NYPL 19 years ago. There was scaffolding around NYPL, so I assumed the facade of the building was being cleaned.

I checked in at 1:30 and took at tour of the Harold Kohn Vision Science Library. Until 2000 the City University of New York Graduate Center was in that building. I organized a careers in chemical information workshop held in that building in November 1989.

The METRO meeting became with welcoming remarks from Executive Director Dottie Hiebing and Dr. David Heath, President of the SUNY College of Optometry. A member of the Staff of State Senator Thomas Duane accepted an award for his advocacy of libraries.

The keynote speaker was John Blyberg, Assistant Director for Innovation and User Experience at the Darien, Ct. Public Library. The title of his talk was Getting Out of the Weeds: Understanding and Managing an Ecology of Information. His Powerpoint of this talk may be viewed at http://slideshare.net/jblyberg.

No comments: