Wednesday, October 14, 2009

More on the H Index

The H index was discussed in this journal before. One particular professor is being considered for tenure and is obviously anxious about it. In yesterday's entry I mentioned that he asked me to compare his H index to his departmental colleagues. Only one full and one distinguished professor had higher values in the Web of Science or Scopus. The values were higher in the Web of Science since its covers more older journals. Today I did a literature search in Academic Search Premier to find articles that documented the use of the H index in evaluating the prestige of scientists. I found several papers that documented that.

If any librarians reading this journal are interested, I can e-mail the pdfs of the good papers. You can reach me at Bruce.Slutsky@njit.edu .

No comments: