Thursday, October 22, 2009

Recalling My Library Training

Back when I was in Russell Sage Junior High School (Fall 1961 - Spring 1964) we went to the library once a week. We would get a lesson in how to use the card catalog (no computers in those days) or the Readers Guide to Periodical Literature to find information. I received no library instruction at Forest Hills High School (1964 - 1967), City College of New York (1967-72) and the University of Rhode Island (1972-74). If I had to write a paper, I intuitively had to learn the research techniques. I remember I had to rewrite my bibliography for my MS thesis in chemistry since my references were formatted incorrectly. I did not receive any training in how to use published resources until I enrolled in the Pratt Institute School of Library and Information Science in 1979. Times have certainly changed.

No comments: