Monday, October 12, 2009

Random Thoughts of the Day

1. We are almost finished with the Research Roadmaps given to students of Humanities 101. Only 5 people came to my class today, although there are about 150 students who have not attended. I have classes scheduled for tomorrow and Wednesday.

2. I received a phone call from a professor concerned about his cited reference count as he is being evaluated for tenure. A very recent paper of his was cited, but he is concerned that the databases we use (Scopus, Web of Science, and Scifinder Scholar) won't pick it up. He is also concerned that the databases and journals often misspell his name. He asked me to compare his H index with that of colleagues in his department. Cited references are only one criterion that the committee uses in granting or denying tenure. Politics is often a major factor.

3. Many of my previous employers were closed on Columbus Day, but NJIT has always been open. I can't complain since we get Fridays off over the summer. The subways and bus were significantly less crowded making the commute easier.

No comments: