Saturday, September 6, 2008

Coming in to lecture on a Saturday

In the 16 years I have been at NJIT I have never gone there on a Saturday. For the last few years I have given my information lectures to Chem E 396, an undergraduate course. There are 3 lecures that I give:

  1. Overview
  2. Scifinder Scholar
  3. Scopus and other databases

This semester the course was given on Saturday. I told the professor I will condense my 3 lectures into one so I would only have to make one trip. The inconvenience about coming in Saturdays is that the trains run less often. When I got to downtown Newark by New Jersey Transit, I decided to walk the one mile to NJIT instead of taking the Newark light rail. I was just afraid that the light rail would run extremely infrequently. I got to the lecture on time and finished by 11:30 at the professor's request. Due to the impending tropic storm I decided to leave immediately to try to get home before it started.

The campus was very empty this Saturday. I assume that most of the dormitory students who live in NJ, go home for the weekend. When I returned to the library, Cherron and Clifford were there with only 10 or so students in the information common. The nuisance of the day was spending twice as much time traveling as I was there. I only have to do it once.

No comments: