Friday, September 5, 2008

Lecture to Chemical Engineering Graduate Students

Yesterday at 4 PM, I gave my lecture on how to find information in chemistry and chemical engineering to graduate students taking CHE 794 - Professional presentations. All students in that class are required to talk about their research projects. It was convenient to give my lecture at the beginning of the semester. Since most of the students had heard me talk before I decided on the fly to give my advanced lecture. I assumed that most of the students were aware of the NJIT databases. I showed the the list of online resources that I compiled over the years. I also demonstrated some of the advanced features of Scifinder Scholar and Scopus. It is frustrating when students don't ask questions. Is it because they are just not interested or do the know the material anyway. I asked for some sample search questions, but nobody volunteered so I had to bring my own searches. It is also hard to determine the impact of my lecture on the students.

No comments: