Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Graduate Seminar for Chemistry and Enviromental Science - Almost a Murphy's law day

The biggest pain in the neck in giving classes is setting up the computer and XGA. The professor had a laptop with Windows Vista. I never used that new operating system and it was hard to navigate. It failed to download Scifinder Scholar. Luckily, another professor who was there offered his laptop with Windows XP. 99% of my epxerience with PCs is with a desktop so I had a little difficulty naviagting with the trackball on this laptop. I didn't want to waste any more time so I could talk about Scifinder Scholar, but could not demonstrate it. I completed the Powerpoint and then showed some of the web sites that I compiled with chemical information. This time I did get some questions from students. It does seem that some are too shy to speak in front of the class, but came to speak with me privately afterwards. I got this one nice comment from a student:

Hi Mr. Slutsky,I was very well enlightened by your presentation today, thank you. I will be very pleased if you can send me a copy of your presentation.Thank you.

No comments: